Friday 1 March 2013

Nigella Lawson's Coconut and Cherry Banana bread

Hey people! It's been ages! Lol. I know I sound excited and all but it's a new month and so I get a new budget to spend on food *whoop whoop!

I won't lie, it was harrrrrrrrd sticking to my £30 food budget last month. As the month of February drew to an end, I started counting down and working out what recipes I want to try. The good news is, I did it. Yup! Yup! I stuck to my budget. To be fair, I had a lot of things in my shelf and freezer. Having a budget makes me realise just how much food I have even when I think I need to go shopping and also helps me creatively combine ingredients.

Anyway, I found this recipe by Nigella Lawson and have been aching to try it since forever! Lol. Right now, my bread's in the oven and I won't get to try just how well I did till tomorrow :-P but I am quite impressed with what it looks like so far.

You will need:

125g soft unsalted butter, plus some for greasing
4 small-medium bananas (approx. 500g with the skin on)
150g of caster sugar
2 eggs
175g plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g of dried cherries
100g of desicated coconut
1 x 900g (2lb) loaf tin
Preheat your oven to  170 C or Gas mark 3. Line your loaf tin with a liner or grease your tin with the extra butter.

Melt your butter, remove from the heat and leave to cool
Peel and mash the bananas 

Beat the sugar into the cooled, melted butter, then beat in the bananas and the eggs. Fold in the flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate soda. Finally, add the cherries and coconut.
 Fold well so everthing is combined, then pour into the lined loaf tin. Bake for 50 mins, but check after 45minutes. When ready, the bread will come away from the sides of the tin and will be bouncy on top. Leave it in the tin for 10 mins before transfering to a wire rack to cool.

I just checked mine and will update this post with the final outcome if I can hold out long enough to take a picture :D

Meanwhile, in other news......I made this before I started with my bread

Sneak Peek........


2 comments:

  1. Wow! This look so yummy! :) Thank you for the recipe! I nominate you in the Liebster award!

    Please check out! http://tantan6.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-liebster-award-yehey.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhia!!!! :) off to check it out now!

      Delete