Saturday 27 October 2012

CC: Egg Prawn Rice

Growing up, Rice and Chicken was a staple Christmas dish......we always cooked it to supplement the main course - POUNDED YAM! Lol. Loads of people find it funny when I say we always made pounded yam on Christmas day in addition to rice. Still yet to discover what the joke is *hehehe

Today I decided to make something different and hopefully inspire someone to be creative this year. I went to a Carribean restaurant at the start of curry week and got inspired to make what I ordered at home. Although I did not get the recipe from the chef (understandably), here goes -


Because I was going to post this,  I decided to measure out my ingredients so it's easy for everyone to follow.

You will need:
- 250g of long grain rice
- 80g of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 of a red pepper (diced)
- 100g of prawns ( if using small ones, you can double the quantity)
- 1 egg




Wash your rice and boil in salted water for 10 minutes. Add your peas and cook for 5 more minutes. Drain and remove from heat.



I placed chopsticks on my plate. We will see why in a bit :)


Put your oil in a heated wok or similar

Add your onions and stir fry for 2 minutes

Add your prawns and stir fry for 2 minutes or until they turn pink

Add your red pepper and stir fry for 2 mins

Push to one side of your pan

Add a pinch of salt to your egg and whisk with your chopsticks

Pour your whisked egg to the empty side of the pan and scramble with your chopsticks

Mix all contents of the pan together

Add your boiled rice and peas. Stir fry over low heat till thoroughly mixed
 
Dinner is served! I can have this on it's own or with a sauce
And there you have it, easy, quick and healthy.

This took me hours to finish because I was listening to some Naija tunes whilst at it :( .... I couldn't help dancing and ended up taking FOREVER to dice my veggies!

5 comments:

  1. Hang on a minute, where did that nice piece of chicken come from?

    This looks like a nice straightforward rice dish though, so I just might give it a try. Mustn't forget to add the music as I cook, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Thanks a lot for your comment! Made me laugh. I was blogging about the rice....let's just say 'Stay tuned for the Chicken recipe' teeeheehee. Please try it out and send me pictures!!! I will definately feature them on the blog! Thanks again!! :D
      And about the music, I can recommend some.....with the right dance moves to go with them.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Thanks for your comment......I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'l definitely try this and let u know hw it goes when i do.thanks for dropping the link in the group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I am the one to say thank you for checking it out. Please try and let me know. I will post your pictures here. Take care and come around again. Happy New Year :-D

      Delete