Sunday 18 November 2012

Avocado & Mayo hair mask

Recently, a friend contacted me on facebook expressing how shocked she was at the length of my hair. Lol. I did tell you my hair was a wreck at some point in my life. Also, we attended secondary school together where we all had to cut our hair - some rules are not worth explaining. Lol.

Anyways, she wanted to know what I did to get my hair this way. Like I said before, for me it's been a trial and error journey and I am improving everytime. Thankfully, my hair is patient......there are times I think I deserve to be bald!

Here is what I told her:

"Major thing I do is keep it wrapped up. If you look at my post on Birthday Blues, I have pictures at the end of how I wore my hair. I always keep the ends tucked away. I have worn my hair out only once and promised to never do it again. Some people have hair for it, others don't and I have figured out where my hair is in that range. Lol. Afros are cute, but some hair types suffer more than others.
I don't jump around following products and trends. It's my hair and it does what it wants so I let it. Lol. If you noticed, I use regular products. Always have. I am changing my hair routine and will blog about that soon but I am still using my cheap hair products till they finish. I am not buying £20 worth of shampoo when my 79p one is still here. When it finishes then we can talk, 79p is still money. Lol.
Moisture. I am not too good at this because wet hair = a whole new process of conditioning and styling. This is where I am failing seriously and why I am changing my hair care routine. Moisture is very important and by that I mean plain old simple free WATER. I have a body spray bottle that's empty so I washed that, put water and there you go. I recycle my containers instead of spending money buying this and that. When my body butter finishes, I use the container to mix conditioner and all that".

As far as changing my routine goes, I now deep condition with natural products. I like to try things out for a while before I give my opinion on them. This is my second time conditioning this way and I am definately sticking to it. Not only is it better for the environment, my hair loves it - which is understandable. I love food so it's understandable that my hair loves it too :D

I am recycling this container and using it to mix my conditioning hair mask


Remove the flesh of 1 ripe avocado

Mash in a container till smooth

I used 4 tbspns of mayonnaise. My hair absorbs products easily so I tend to use small quantities. Use as much as you know your hair needs.

Add 2 spoonfuls of honey and essential(s) oil of choice - a drop each

Mix till it's smooth.......kinda looks like baby food. Make enough for just one use. I won't advise storing in the fridge for later.
 I applied the conditioner to my hair, wrapped with cling film and went about my business. I know I said cling film is fussy in my previous hair post but I've decided to figure it out as it's better at generating heat. Leave for at least 20minutes then rinse out completely with cold water. Be sure to rinse your hair thoroughly to get rid of avocado bits and the smell of mayo.

Avocados contain essential nutrients, proteins, Vitamins A, D, E and K, B vitamins, magnesium, copper, iron, folic acid, potassium and amino acids which repair and replenish dry and damaged hair.
The proteins, vitamins B and E found in avocados can also increase the strength and elasticity of hair, giving it a healthy shine and texture.

One thing I will say is, this is quite messy to apply so wear an old t-shirt and do it over a sink. On the bright side, your hands get moisturized in the process of applying.......2-for-1, my kind of thing.

Later lovelies,
Lady Womble xx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks lady womble, am so gonna try this out soon. keep up the good work. highly informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boo :D.......How's your hair doing in that heat? I have always admired your thick hair! eiiisssh!!! Lol

      Delete