Friday 25 January 2013

Ox Cheek Curry

I can barely breathe.

Just finished washing up after dinner and all I can say is there will be a repeat performance of this masterpiece.

I have never cooked with this cut of beef before but when I saw it at my local supermarket, I couldn't resist picking it up. I decided to make a curry with it and ended up having 2 platefuls of food for dinner.....I know right, so bad! The beef was ooo so tender and moist and I absolutely loved it. Anyways, I've packed up the rest and it's sitting in the fridge. Thankfully I barely resisted picking at the chunks of tender beef just sitting there, drowning in the curry. Key word -  barely because I am certain I heard them calling out to my mouth for help!
You will Need:

500g of meat of choice. I am using Ox cheek.
1 medium onion
1 table spoon of tumeric powder
1 tablespoon of mild curry powder
2 stock cubes
1 tablespoon of mixed herbs
3 cloves of fresh garlic or 1 tablespoon of pure garlic pure
2 potatoes
3 carrot sticks
Pinch of salt to taste. 
Water
24 hours*hehehe

My meat in the pack
Cut your meat into bite-sized chunks and place in a bowl. My meat came fresh from the supermarket's sterile counter and it wasn't sitting in any moisture so I did not wash. Also, I am going to marinate for 24hrs and washing would introduce moisture which means my meat will be a breeding ground for bacteria after 24hrs. I also use the red board which is clearly marked to cut meat. A different board for fish and a different one for vegetables. Tell me what you think.
Chop your onions and add. The green board is strictly for vegetables.
Add all your spices and seasonings as listed above
Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
 At this stage, cover your bowl with cling film and  leave to marinate overnight

After a good night's rest and a hard day's work, 'dump' your meat into a pot. Lol

Fill the pot with water till it is just above the meat
 Leave to boil, occasionally checking the contents of your pot and topping up the water.

When your meat is almost ready top up with water and add salt to taste
Slice your carrots and potatoes

Add these to your pot. Make sure you place them on top and do not mix through. Cook for 30 mins
.....and there you have it. Me and my dinner, sitting cheek to cheek

 Whilst this was cooking I was busy baking a cake. The contents of my fridge tend to dictate what I do these days and since I had some things that needed eating I decided to 'throw' them together and make a cake.

Take care lovelies xx
L.W.




No comments:

Post a Comment