Sunday 30 September 2012

....I almost had a duck!!!

I went grocery shopping today.

After bemoaning my lack of food yesterday, I decided I needed to change the state of things. So off I went to one of the major stores. I shop there most of the time simply because I am familiar with the way things are.

I don't like walking into a store and having to go around looking for every itsy bitsy thing I need. Yuck!


So today, I went shopping and guess what I stumbled upon - A DUCK! No, it wasn't alive - although now I think of it, that would have been entertaining.

I pick up this duck and the price is £18. I am looking at it and thinking to myself - roast, serve with potatoes, serve in a wrap, serve in a sandwich = 4 blog posts. And with that I decide to get the duck. Even though I have never cooked one before, I was willing to give it a try - what's the worse that could happen eii?

Then I notice the pack says "Use By 30th Sept" - err that is today! Okkkkkkay! This will change things a little. I am thinking "I have to make this today, not a problem. I will just have duck all week"

I ring up everyone I know who I can possibly ring up and tell of how I am buying a duck! "Yes! how cool is that? I am buying a duck and although I have never made one before I am going to!" - on hindsight, I shouldn't have done that.

For you see, when I got to the till and scanned the duck through, the reality of the cost hit me! Especially after I noticed duckie didn't smell as fresh as I would like.

Well, in true womble style I laid down my cards to the lady, "Look, I will take this if you reduce it because as it stands, if I can't eat it today then I have to bin £18 just like that". She was understanding. Maybe because we've become acquainted over time. So "Buzz" she calls over the lad who is responsible for reductions and explains the situation. Sit tight for the shocker.

"I cannot reduce this item. If you want it at the ticket price then fine, you can have it. Otherwise I will bin it"...... Ok, so I got a bit confused. Pardon me for being slow but I didn't quite understand..... he said if I pay the full price for duckie then I can have duckie but he would rather bin duckie than reduce the price???????? ....... Regardless of how you look at it, surely the store stands to gain by selling me the item. Throwing it in the bin means they don't get anything and that's just food waste. Harmful to the environment too!

So here I am, home, duckieless and quite sad.........I know my friends will ask. Everyone I told I was getting a duck. And I will say I lost him.

If you ask me (not that you will), I will say 'Sir Reductions' had his eye on my duck!!!!!!

My name is Lady,
and - I almost had a duck :-(


Image from: Duck hunt App


No comments:

Post a Comment