Monday 29 October 2012

CC: Pidgin 101

I have noticed most people who should know how to speak pidgin don't.

Ah, PIDGIN - I remember growing up without being exposed to the ways of this language but all that changed when I spent a year serving my nation.

I LOVE PIDGIN. I acknowledge that mixed reactions exist in relation to it but as for me, I have noting but 'luuuuuuurv'.

Pidgin is to Nigeria what English is to America. Nigeria currently has over 250 ethnic groups, each with it's distinct language, accent and ways of living. Although English is our lingua franca, not everyone has the luxury of attending school and learning about proper english grammar. Here's where pidgin comes to the rescue (playing spiderman's theme song).

Pidgin is a form of English laced with local dialects and variations are spoken globally. Despite its common use; Pidgin is yet to be officially recognised *sadface

Each ethnic group in Nigeria can communicate in this language. Like English, you can guess where a person is from or where they were raised based on their version of Pidgin and the accent they choose to speak it with. Pidgin can therefore determine whether you are viewed as an outsider or one who can be trusted.

For instance;

English - You are coming right?

Let us consider the major ethnic groups -

Yoruba (pidgin) - You go come, abi?
Igbo (pidgin) - Nna, you go come?
Hausa (pidgin) - You go come ba?

My personal favourite is the Pidgin that's spoken in the oil-rich South-South region . It isn't easy to decode and like the people, it is sharp and just plain beautiful:

Bros, shey you dey SHOW????
( I love it!!! Seriously, how does 'come' translate to 'show') *hehehe

Our govenment says pidgin is hampering their progress in education.

I say - One chance.

Here's me leaving you lovelies with some basic pidgin phrases. Hopefully, if you love Naija tunes, this will help you figure things out and you won't be clueless on your trip home for Christmas ;)

How far - How are you
I dey, how body - I am fine thanks. You?
(pronounce 'I dey' as 'Ah day'. meaning - I am fine)
No vex - Do not take offence
Abeg - Please
(Abeg, no vex - Please, do not take offence. The 'A' in 'Abeg' is pronounced 'Ah')
Papa - Father
Mama - Mother
Pikin - Child
Babe - Lady
Fit - denoting ability; can
Maga - Gullible person, one who is taken advantage of and is unaware

Chop - Eat or Spend ( depending on contextual use. If referring to 'Spend', usually in a wasteful or excessive manner)

Examples:

She wan chop my money - She wants to spend my money (excessively)/ 'bleed me dry'
I wan chop - I want to eat.

*the object is usually the clue to what the word means in a given context.

4 comments: