Monday 22 October 2012

Hi, I'm Naija!



Heeeheehee

I was going to publish an entirely different post until I stumbled on this video my friend shared on facebook.

In the video, some Nigerians based in the United States of America were being asked questions about Nigeria and they had no clue :S


For me that is worrying! Lol. If there is anything my friends and colleagues all know about me is - I'm NAIJA!!!! To the core, bone and everything else in between.

They say if you want something done, do it yourself so I am going to school you all on Nigeria. I thought a good place to start was to answer the questions asked in the video.

1) How many states are in Nigeria
Ans: Nigeria 36 states and Abuja - the Federal Capital Territory. Some literature say 37 but Abuja is not classified as a state so that answer will suffice anywhere.

2) Who is the Vice-President of Nigeria
Ans: Mohammed Namadi Sambo. I made sure I found out this information when he came into power as his name is rarely dropped in political circles. I just had to know for my knowledge bank, who my VP is.

The most hilarious comment was when someone said - Jonathan took over as Vice-President after Atiku died........seriously though!

Nigeria is in West Africa and shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. Its coast in the south lies on the Gulf of Guinea on the Atlantic Ocean. The three largest and most influential ethnic groups in Nigeria are the Hausa,Igbo and Yoruba.

Nigeria is Africa's leading oil producer and plays a prominent role in African affairs.

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and is listed among the "Next Eleven" economies, and is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (And NO! Africa, was not, is not and will never be a country. Why do people think that? I am honestly interested and would love to know)

Nigerians are resourceful people who love their food, family, dance and culture......everything is a reason to PARTTTYYY!! Little surprise we were rated the happiest people on earth in a 2010 Gallup global poll. Admittedly, we have our rough edges but then again, what nation doesn't?

I love to try new things, experience new cultures and start new projects. But I have to confess, no matter where I go, what I do and who I become, my introduction remains - Hi, I'm Naija! ... By the way, remind me to tell you the story of 'Naija'.



No comments:

Post a Comment